• Rhonda Stallone

Forest Closure Impacts Trail Riding. Subject to updates, daily.

Updated: Oct 11, 2020

Updated October 6, 2020 The Sequoia National Forest closure order has been lifted, slightly.

For mtb'ers waiting for Cannell Trail access, the Sherman Pass Road and all parts of Sequoia National Forest that are north of the Tulare County line remain closed.

South of the Tulare County line, the Forest has re-opened significantly.

Lake Isabella is now open.

Just Outstanding Trail is now open. Rancheria Road is closed a bit further south of the JO Trail access point. We have a driver we can recommend if you are interested in a shuttle for JO, just shoot us an email @ info@mtnriver.com with date and number of riders.

You may have heard that National Forests in California have been temporarily closed because of summertime high fire season combined with extreme hot weather conditions and lack of available fire fighters. A temporary forest closure went into effect @ 5:00pm on September 7, 2020, for the Sequoia National Forest.

How long will Closure last?

US Forest Service personnel anticipate this to be about a 30-day closure for recreational areas surrounding Lake Isabella and the Lower Kern River corridor. The Upper Kern area is closer to the SQF Complex Fire, about 45 miles NE of Kernville, and will remain closed longer.

What does this Forest closure mean for MTB shuttles and trail riding?

All trails in our Forest are closed. We have temporarily suspended all shuttles. Roads leading to these trails are likely open, and law enforcement or Forest Service personnel will be ticketing anyone who ignores this Forest Closure order. We are hopeful that Just Outstanding, Portuguese Pass, and Unal trails will be open soon and are waiting for more information from the Forest Service.

Our campground does remain open during this Forest closure. All roads and highways leading to our park are open and passable. The containment on the SQF Complex Fire is progressing well and we are monitoring Fire reports daily. We do have smoky conditions in the morning which typically clear by afternoon. Camping availability for weekends in October are filling up, and we have mid-week days open in September. Our campground will close for the season in late November 2020.

Stay safe out there and we will be updating you as we learn more.

Thank you,

John & Rhonda Stallone, Owners

Mountain & River Adventures

244 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All